Matawatchan Community Memorial Centre (The Hall) Find us on Facebook
The Matawatchan Community Memorial Centre, which is locally known as the Matawatchan Hall or simply the Hall, is located at 1677 Frontenac Road in the Village of Matawatchan. Matawatchan is a hamlet in the Township of Greater Madawaska, Ontario.
The Matawatchan Hall was first established in 1954. It was built by the local citizens of the day on two acres of land that was donated by Bill MacPherson and Bill Dunn. As you will read in a more lengthy history on this website, the Hall was built with local materials and labour. It was built by the community for the community and to this day is owned by the residents of Matawatchan.
The Hall was a three season facility that used to be closed in the winter (January through March) because of the high cost of heating such a large building. With the Ontario150 Capital Program grant in 2017 and associated funding through Greater Madawaska Township and the FM Fish & Game Club, it is now open all year round. The Hall is managed by an executive that is elected every year in mid-September and supported by a host of volunteers who help out as needed to maintain the building and grounds.
The Hall supports the community and the community supports the Hall through rentals, donations, fund-raising events and through an annual operating grant from the Township of Greater Madawaska.
The grounds feature an outdoor stage, a covered outdoor kitchen and eating area with an outdoor Adobe wood-fired oven.